May 10, 2017
Help for mortgage
If you've had a Union Plus home mortgage for a year or more, you're protected with our unique mortgage assistance program administered through the AFL-CIO Mutual Benefit Plan.
Union Plus Mortgage Assistance provides interest-free loans & grants to help make mortgage payments when you're disabled, unemployed, locked out or on strike. The program has provided over $11.2 million in assistance to union members.
You can apply for benefits to cover your monthly mortgage if:
- You or your eligible cosigner are out of work due to a union-approved strike, lockout, involuntary unemployment, or disability;
- Your income or the eligible cosigner's income is reduced by an amount equal to at least 50% of the monthly mortgage payment;
- The income loss first occurred within the 12 months prior to application.
Documentation verifying your union membership, out-of-work status and related income loss is required at the time you apply for benefits.
- A working printer to print out forms after you've completed the application
- An e-mail address, so we can contact you about your application
- Your most recent Union Plus mortgage statement
- The name of your union and the local number
- Your monthly gross (before-tax) income when you're working a full-time schedule
- Your monthly gross (before-tax) unemployment or disability benefits (sickness & accident, worker's compensation, etc.)
- The last day you worked
Share this article
Mortgage help for Homeowners
October 11, 2021
Help for mortgage payments
April 11, 2023
Mortgage for house abroad
October 10, 2016