Mortgage payment Assistance
The City of Tampa offers down payment assistance loans to income eligible home buyers of property within the City limits of Tampa. The loan is in second position behind primary financing from a mortgage lender and is typically known as a “silent second” because of the 0% rate and $0 monthly payment. The Deferred Payment Loan (DPL) can remain “silent” as long as the property continues to be the owner’s primary residence and owner occupied. The program provides up to $14, 999 to assist income eligible first time homebuyers to achieve the dream of homeownership. Here are the basic highlights of the City-Wide Mortgage Assistance Program:
Potential buyer must begin process with one of three approved Housing Counseling agencies and MUST NOT be under contract before receiving a reservation number. The Counseling agency will provide education, complete application with client and collect documentation. (See attached list of approved agencies.)
- $14, 999** Max award. Down payment: up to 20% of the purchase price or $10, 000 whichever is less, toward the down payment. Closing costs: 50% of closing costs up to a maximum of $4, 999, whichever is less.
- Fully Forgivable after 5 yrs, assuming still owner occupied.
- Income calculated based on HOUSEHOLD income, not just the loan applicant.
- Household income must be below 120% Area Median Income (AMI).
- Debt ratios of 31/45%. Minimum Credit Score of 600.
- Maximum purchase price is $180, 000.
- Total of $2000 investment from the borrower with a minimum of $1000 from borrower’s own verifiable funds. The additional $1000 may include POC’s (appraisal, inspections, etc…)
- Loan types are flexible – Includes fixed and fully amortized products: FHA/VA, Conventional, Affordable Housing Products; ARM loans are not allowed
- Home Inspection by the Buyer and HQS Inspection is required before closing.
** Not All Buyers Will Qualify For Max Award, Depending On Need**
The City of Tampa’s Housing and Community Development Division (HCD), through its Housing Counseling Agency partners, will be providing Homebuyer Education classes (English and Spanish), Homebuyer Counseling services and Mortgage Assistance Program for qualified homebuyers. To participate, contact any of the following housing counseling agencies to begin the process:
Participating Housing Counseling Agencies
Center for Affordable Homeownership
5301 W. Cypress St.
Tampa, FL 33607
Housing and Education Alliance